Geomatics@UWB ( University of West Bohemia, Faculty of Applied Sciences) is a leading research and education group in the area of geographic data and information in the Czech Republic.
The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) defines geomatics (geos: Earth, matics: informatics) as a “discipline concerned with the collection, distribution, storage, analysis, processing, presenting of geographic data or geographic information”. [ISO/TR 19122:2004(E)]
Geomatics@UWB provides research and education in the following specialisms:
- surveying and geodesy,
- mapping and cartography,
- remote sensing including photogrammetry and global navigation satellite systems (Earth observation),
- geographic information systems.
Geomatics@UWB utilises research from disciplines including geography, astronomy, geophysics, informatics, cybernetics and mathematics. In this perspective, Geomatics@UWB provides interdisciplinary research mainly in the following areas:
- spatial and urban planning and smart cities,
- transport planning including smart mobility,
- agriculture and precision/autonomous farming,
- landscape and rural development,
- cultural heritage including historical maps,
- environmental protection, disaster management and climate change.
Geomatics@UWB is formally affiliated with:
- the Department of Geomatics, and
- the Geophysical Models and Geoinformatics Technologies programme of the New Technologies for the Information Society (NTIS) research centre.